top of page

EU Nationals - last update 15/04/2019


7 June - 2pm until 3:30pm - The Office of Rona Mackay MSP, 18a Townhead, Kirkintilloch, G66 1NL

14 June- 2pm until 3:30pm - Bearsden HUB, 69 Drymen Rd, Bearsden, G61 3QT

What is the EU Settlement Scheme?

European Union (EU) citizens and their family members who want to stay in the UK beyond 30 June 2021 will need to apply to the EU Settlement Scheme. The EU Settlement Scheme allows EU citizens and their family members to continue to live, work and study here in the UK. It means they will continue to be eligible for:

  • public services, such as healthcare and schools

  • public funds and pensions

  • British citizenship, if they want to apply and meet the requirements.

Who is eligible for the scheme?

If you are a EU citizen or a non-EU family member of an EU citizen. 

When does the scheme open?

The EU Settlement Scheme will open fully by 30 March 2019. EU citizens and their family members will have until 30 June 2021 to apply and their rights will remain unchanged until then, if they are resident in the UK by 31 December 2020. This application deadline will change to 31 December 2020 if the UK leaves the EU without a deal.

How can I help you?

Attend one of my surgeries for a one to one meeting to discuss your questions further. If there is anything not covered on this page I'm more than happy to get answers and help where I can.

The Application Process

Please note there are three options for ID checking as part of the process:


  • Send documents away to the Home Office by post

  • Make an appointment to have the ID document scanned and verified at a location offering ID scanning. There is one location in Scotland that the UK Government has arranged for accessing ID Document scanning. This is at Registrar’s Office, The Quadrangle, City Chambers, 253 High Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1YP. There is a fee of £14.00 for this service.

  • Use the EU Exit: ID Document Check app (available on Android phones only)

While the preferable option is to use the android app, this is problematic for those that don't have access to an android phone. I have raised this in the Scottish Parliament - you can view the Scottish Governments response here.

The online application takes a lot longer and requires the applicant’s passport to be sent to the Home Office which could take weeks for it to be returned. The android app is simpler –  it requires downloading the app from the Play Store and the passport details are scanned automatically. After using the app to verify your identity, the rest of the application can either be completed on that device or on any smartphone, laptop or computer. The Home Office suggests that the form takes about twenty minutes to complete.

Continue to live in the UK after it leaves the EU


The UK government has reached an agreement with the EU that will protect the rights of EU citizens and their family members living in the UK. It has also reached an agreement with Norway, Iceland and Liechtenstein, and a separate agreement with Switzerland.

These agreements mean that most citizens from the EU, Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Switzerland will need to apply to stay in the UK. They can then continue living their lives here as they do now.

Use this tool to find out what to do and when.

Contact me (or use the online chat system)

  • Will my employment rights be affected when the UK leaves the EU Union which is scheduled to take effect on 29 March 2019?
    No, in advance of the UK’s scheduled exit to leave the EU union, the UK government has committed to protect the rights of EU citizens and their family members currently living in the UK. This includes the right to live here, work here and access public services such as healthcare and benefits. To retain these rights after 30 June 2021, EU citizens must apply for UK immigration status under the EU Settlement Scheme.
  • How do I apply for the EU Settlement scheme?
    You can access the application online using a computer, tablet or mobile phone. Please note the first part of this process currently requires access to an android app to verify your identity. You can then complete the rest of the application either on the android device or on any smartphone, laptop or computer. The other option is to send your passport to the Home Office but this could take some weeks for your passport to be returned.
  • I already have an android phone, what are the requirements for my device?"
    The UK Government has shared information about device requirements on their website.
  • I don’t have an Android phone to scan my current passport or biometric residence card.
    Please contact my office on 0141 776 1561 and we can assist.
  • What information do I need to complete the application form, if I use an Android phone?"
    Documents you will need are either biometric passport, biometric national identity card or biometric residence card. You will also need to know your National Insurance number. The UK Government has produced guidance.
  • Will my information be left stored on the phone?
    No, it is the app that stores information from your session. Information is only stored within the app and not anywhere else in the phone. Your information is only stored until the app is closed or your session ends.
  • Is there any cost to apply?
    There was originally a £65 fee that the Parliament had agreed to reimburse but this has now been removed from the scheme and EU citizens can apply without any fee.
  • Are there any other locations in Scotland offering ID document scanning?
    There is currenly only one location in Scotland offering ID Document scanning. This is at Registrars Office, The Quadrangle, City Chambers, 253 High Street, Edinburgh, EH1 1YP. There is a fee of £14.00 for this service.
  • I have a disability and I cannot access the android technology. What other support is available?
    You can contact my office, or ask for support from the UK Government – EU Settlement Resolution Centre. They can be called on 0300 123 7379 from inside the UK.
  • How can I stay up to date with developments about the Scheme?
    You can sign up for email updates from the UK Government.

Thanks! Message sent.

bottom of page